I don't really have the time to be writing this right now, but I feel like if I don't grab this one peaceful minute I will get so far behind in blogging that I may just give it up again.
We've been back from Chicago for two weeks today. Wow! Time flies! It feels like we came back yesterday, but it also feels like we never left. And now that I think about it, yesterday was the one year anniversary of me arriving in Nagano. Time REALLY does fly. I'm A LOT happier now than when I first arrived. Things have changed so much. I can't believe it. That also means that my baby's first birthday is approaching. Crazy, crazy stuff! I can't believe she's going to be a year already! Wow! Only 17 more to go, and if they go by this fast, she's going to be out of the house in no time, and I'm going to be a grandma before you know it. Okay, I think I'll slow down a bit now because I'm really not ready to be a grandma yet.
My lunch with T that I wrote about last time was interesting. He's married now, which he never told me. Hmmm. I'm really happy for him, and really happy that we never got married. That boy has relationship issues that need more attention than I would be willing to give. I wish his wife luck! They haven't even been married a year and they're already in counseling and he's talking about divorce. Oh brother! I have to say I definitely feel like I married the right person. Akinori told me the other day that the only way we would ever break up is if I packed up and left. No matter what happened or what I did, he wouldn't leave me. Kind of sweet I thought, but kind of silly to tell me that. He knows how much I love a good party, and the trouble I can get into. Is he giving me free license to do whatever I want? Although after he said that I realized I would never do anything that would purposely put our relationship in jeapordy, and he probably knows that.
The first week we were back was quiet and uneventful. We went to a BBQ that was a lot of fun and I made a new friend which was nice. Not a mommy friend, and it's always nice to have a couple of not mommy friends. My BIL asked me to perform at an event he's planning on Halloween night. So I'm pretty excited about my first public performance in Nagano.
Then last Saturday we went to listen to a talk given by a former buyer for Barney's New York and Isetan in the next town. Sara had a bit of a runny nose, but there was a Halloween party being held afterward and stupid parents that we are we wanted to show her off in her Halloween costume, so we dragged her there anyway. Next day she gets a fever, we go to the Dr. get meds, the fever continues to climb. Go to the Dr. the next day, get more meds. Finally yesterday morning no more fever. The Dr. thinks it wasn't our irresponsibility, but rather 突発性発心, called Roseola in English. Most babies here get it apparently, and it comes on spontaneously, not contracted, so it wouldn't matter if we took her out the night before or not. Well, there's no rash yet which is supposed to come out after the fever goes away, so I'm not yet convinced that our poor baby's illness isn't our fault. Luckily I'm still breastfeeding because I can't get her to eat anything, and with all the medicine we've been pouring down her throat, she won't open her mouth for anything but the boob or senbei now anyway. Hopefully when she's fully recovered she'll want to eat a real meal again. Having a sick baby is so horrible in so many ways. It's awful to watch your child suffer, and see them so listless when they are usually so full of energy and happy. It's awful to not be able to get any sleep yourself because you're up all night with a baby who can't sleep unless you, and you alone, not daddy, only mommy, are holding her. It's awful to not be able to leave the house because your baby can't leave the house. But most of all, because she's still so tiny and can't speak, she can't tell me what's wrong. She can only cry and it makes me so sad to see her so sad and unhappy. Thank goodness she is finally feeling a little better because I couldn't handle this for much longer. We were watching some horrible TV show where a mother was looking after her dying child in the hospital. Oh my god. I think I used up at least half a box of tissues. Not a good show to watch when your own child is sick.
Okay, well I feel kind of caught up and today we are stepping out of the house just for a little while so I've got to go and get ready. If the weather had been awful this past week I don't think I would have minded staying home at all, but it's been so beautiful everyday we have been stuck inside I'm going nuts!!! Here's hoping for the best!
The best places to visit for a February vacation
3 years ago
4 comments:
Wow, you really hit the ground running, hey?
Did you ever hear of roseola before now? Every childhood illness the girls have had so far I have googled and, yup, English name exists, but I'd never heard of it before. All very odd and worrying.
You'll have to come down to Halloween in Matsumoto so I can check out Sara's costume!
Welcome back!
No, I had never heard of roseola before. I'm hoping though that she'll just get the weird Japanese baby diseases and not both. I can imagine going to the Dr. here with an American baby illness and the Drs. having no clue or having only read about it in medical school, and she'll become their guinea pig or something. Luckily the rash came out this afternoon so the reason behind her fever has now been confirmed and we can stop forcing medicine down. She's still being a crab most of the time though which is not much fun.
Is there a Halloween event in Matsumoto? There are a couple here in Nagano that I posted on Chubu-Chat. I don't know if you saw them. I'll be sure to post pics of Sara in her costume somewhere though.
Ditto on the having a sick child thing. Not nice. My kids have between them had lots of colds and illnesses I had never heard of. Hand, foot and mouth disease was the most 'what the? my kids not a cow' one.
The first year does go so fast! I imagine with girls we are in for lots of fun filled years to come - before they are legally old enough to be booted out of home. Marina turns two next week which seems crazy.
love that family photo of you three on your side bar.
and sorry for barging in - not sure if commented before but have come and caught up a few times.
GW - Happy birthday Marina! And don't be silly about barging in! I'm flattered you would even stop by. You are without a doubt one of my favorite bloggers EVER and I read yours religiously. You give me my daily dose of laughter therapy. Have you ever thought about writing a book? I would be the first in line to buy it!
Post a Comment