Back to the point here, L was running late and called to ask if we couldn't meet at 10 instead. Perfectly fine with me! So we met up and she told me all about her time with Mrs. X. I had to laugh at a lot of what she said. I was able to guess at a lot of the stuff they talked about since Mrs. X tells the same stories over and over and OVER again, not hard to imagine what their conversation was like, well not really a conversation really is it when only 1 person does the talking.
Anyway, L and I went to a flea market that was happening about a 2 minute walk from our house first, where she picked up a few really super cute items. I just walked around showing off my super cute baby. When we left the flea market, we didn't really have any plans for what we were going to do next, but I was really up for a bit of an adventure. So we got in the car and went to Hakuba. I hadn't been to Hakuba since I went snowboarding about 8 years ago, but I had really been wanting to go since I heard there was a large foreign population there and lots of stores and restaurants that cater to them. The drive took a lot less time than I expected, and when Hakuba came into sight, this is what it looked like...

It was soooooo breathtakingly beautiful. Forget the fact that I HATE snow, it was just too beautiful to be concerned about the cold.
Now that we were in Hakuba, we were hungry and I tried to find somewhere to eat using the GPS. A place came up that I knew I had heard of, so we tried to go there, but it was closed. It was along a mountain road that was lined with pensions, so I guess maybe it's only open during the ski season. It looked cute though so it's too bad it wasn't open. The area was beautiful so we drove around for a little while, then turned around and decided that we really needed to find a place to eat. So we just went into the first place we found that was open, which also happened to be quite cute, and yummy! Here's Sara and mommy getting ready to eat. (Mommy looking a little bit like a witch I think, maybe that would explain the lack of a smile on Sara's face.)

After lunch there wasn't much to do since it's not ski season yet, so we decided to drive closer to the ski slopes and check them out and then head home. Not one phone call or text from Mrs. X all day. Peace.
We came back to our house and hung out for a bit before L had to go and meet someone else. Akinori came home early and got to meet her briefly, then he took a quick shower and we went to the annual Ebisuko fireworks display. Wow! Japanese fireworks displays are amazing. I haven't been to one in the States in years and years, but I don't remember them being nearly as long. This fireworks display went on for nearly TWO HOURS!! It was cold, but worth it. Here's just a sample...
Apparently it's one of the largest displays in the country, especially nowadays considering the bad economy. No one's wasting their money on fireworks anymore, except for the good people of Nagano. One more good reason to live here I guess!
3 comments:
Sounds like a lovely day!!! Hakuba looked BEAUTIFUL.
I hear you on the early mornings too- I am shocking especially lately! I just sleep and sleep and sleep! I guess it is better to get my rest now while baby is still on the inside since I will be up a lot more once he arrives.
I have only been to Nagano once I think and it was for the snow but it wasn`t Hakuba we went too but one place close to it.
Sorry you are having issues with your aqaintance, Mrs X- hope it sorts itself out soon or that she just disappears from your life (if that is what you want)
I love Hakuba! And they are getting more and more stuff happening during the summer, too. We'll have to organise an outing up there next sumer sometime.
And I am so jealous you saw the Ebisuko fireworks. I have wanted to go ever since I moved here but we've been put off by the parking/ crowds thing. Now that I know someone living in Nagano City though.... ;P
Lulu - I am a sleeper too. Before I had Sara, and after I quit work, I only got out of bed before noon once a week, on yoga days. Now I have Sara trained to sleep until at least nine ;) I'm not counting on being this lucky with future children though.
Heather - You guys are officially invited to ours for next year's Ebisuko fireworks!
An event in Hakuba would be awesome!! Let's definitely work on planning something.
Post a Comment